This is a resource for people with juvenile records in Illinois.
A juvenile record can be a barrier to employment, education, and housing. Luckily, juvenile records can be erased through the expungement process. However, while the majority of juvenile records can be erased, few people know about or take advantage of the opportunity. Expunge.io seeks to clarify juvenile expungement, with the hope of more people getting their records erased!
Expunge.io was designed and developed by Cathy Deng, with help from Sharlyn Grace from the LAF juvenile expungement help desk. Rene Paccha provided the Spanish translation. The idea for a digital resource came from the Juvenile Justice Council of the Mikva Challenge, a group of young advocates on a mission to improve the juvenile justice system. A big thanks to Dan O'Neil at Smart Chicago for initially getting us all connected & for hosting the site.
1. SCOPEThis privacy statement applies to this Web Site, which collects data about any juvenile criminal record you may have to determine whether or not you may be able to expunge that record from all relevant public files.
2. INFORMATION WE COLLECTThis Web Site collects the minimal amount of information from you necessary to achieve the purpose of the Web Site. This information comprises:
- Aggregate data: We may publish, in aggregate fashion, data about the number of people who have used the Web Site or the services provided.
3. YOUR ABILITY TO CONTROL COOKIES AND SIMILAR TECHNOLOGIESCookies, web beacons, Flash cookies and similar technologies serve many important functions that help us serve you better. However, you have a variety of tools to control cookies and similar technologies, including:
- Web browser controls to block and delete cookies, or adjust your tracking preferences;
- Information on how to manage privacy and storage settings for Flash cookies here.
4. HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATIONThis Web Site collects your personal information and uses it for the sole purpose of preliminarily determining whether your juvenile record is eligible for expungement based on your answers to certain questions, whether or not it is likely your juvenile record can be expunged and collects your contact information so a lawyer who may agree to represent you may contact you to assist you with expunging your juvenile record.
5. HOW WE SHARE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATIONThe information collected through this Web Site is not sold or disclosed to any third party without your consent, except where:
- Third-party service providers are used to assist with the activities identified in this privacy statement. In those situations, these providers only use your personal information as necessary to perform activities to comply with a legal requirement; and
- It is necessary to prevent a crime or injury, or as otherwise required by law.
6. HOW WE PROTECT YOUR INFORMATIONThis Web Site maintains administrative, technical, and physical safeguards to protect your personal information. We ensure that any data collected is only accessible to appropriate personnel and that the information is user ID and password-protected.
7. LINKING TO OTHER WEBSITESWhen using the Web Site, you may be directed to content and websites that are not contained within the Web Site. External websites are governed by their own privacy policies and you agree that you recognize that the Affiliates take no responsibility for the contents for other linked websites, including those provided by any government. External websites linked to or from the Web Site are not under the control of the Affiliates, and we are not responsible for any link contained in a linked site. These links are provided only as a convenience. Inclusion of any link does not imply recommendation, approval, or endorsement of that website by the Affiliates, nor does it imply that the linked site recommends, approves of, or endorses the Web Site.
8. COMMITMENT TO CHILDREN’S PRIVACYThis Web Site is intended for general audiences and we do not knowingly collect any personal information from children under the age of 13 on our sites. Under federal law, websites directed to children under 13 are prohibited from conditioning a child's participation in an activity on the child's disclosing more personal information than is reasonably necessary to engage in the activity. We comply fully with this requirement.
9. LINKS TO OTHER SITESThis Web Site tries to make sure that any link included on this Web Site sends you to a helpful and reliable place on the Internet, but we are not responsible for the content of these other sites or their privacy practices.
11. HOW TO CONTACT USIf you have any questions or concerns regarding the Web Site, please contact email@example.com .
1. INTRODUCTION TO THE WEB SITEThe Web Site contains the application and program referred to as Expunge.io. The Web Site was created by Cathy Deng and is operated and run by LAF (formerly, Legal Assistance Foundation of Metropolitan Chicago), the Mikva Juvenile Justice Council and Smart Chicago (collectively, the Affiliates”). The Web Site is a program that asks you to answer certain questions that then provides information about expungement eligibility and next steps based upon your answers.
2. INFORMATION NOT LEGAL ADVICEYou are not forming any legal or binding relationship with a lawyer when you use the Web Site. The information on this Web Site, including without limitation, responses given by the Web Site based on your answers to questions it asks. The information on this Web Site is not a substitute for and does not replace the advice or representation of a licensed attorney. Although this Web Site goes to great lengths to make sure the information on this Web Site is accurate and up to date, no claims are made to the accuracy of this information and the Web Site is not responsible for any consequences that may result from the use of this Web Site. It is recommended that you consult with a licensed attorney if you want assurances that the information on this Web Site and your interpretation of it are appropriate for your particular situation. You should not and are not authorized to rely on this Web Site as a source of legal advice. This Web Site does not create an attorney-client relationship between any of the Affiliates and any user.
3. TERMINATION OR RESTRICTION OF ACCESSThe Affiliates reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to terminate your access to the Web Site. Your right to the Web Site is effective until terminated by you or by the Affiliates, which may be done at any time. Upon termination, you shall cease to use the Web Site in its entirety. The Affiliates may terminate your rights to access the Web Site without any refund obligation or other liability, if you fail to comply with these Terms.
4. LIMITED LICENSE; RESTRICTIONS ON USEThe Affiliates hereby grant you a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable license to access and use the Web Site and the Content provided by the Affiliates. You agree that you will not, and will not allow any third party: (i) to take any action to circumvent or defeat the security or content usage rules provided, deployed or enforced by any functionality contained in the Web Site, (ii) to use the Web Site to access, copy, transfer or re-transmit content in violation of any law or third party rights, or (iii) to remove, obscure, or alter the Affiliates’ or any third party's copyright notices, trademarks, or other proprietary rights notices affixed to or contained within or accessed in conjunction with or through the Web Site. The source code of the website is open source under the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) license, meaning that it permits reuse, as long as all copies of the licensed code also include a copy of the MIT License terms and the copyright notice.
5. REPRESENTATIONS AND LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITYThe Affiliates make no representation or warranty whatsoever regarding the completeness, accuracy, timeliness or adequacy of any information, facts, views, opinions, statements or recommendations contained on this Web Site. Reference to any product, process, publication or service of any third party by trade name, domain name, trademark, service mark, logo, manufacturer or otherwise does not constitute or imply its endorsement or recommendation by any of the Affiliates.
The Internet may be subject to breaches of security. The Affiliates are not responsible for any resulting damage to any user's computer from any such security breach, or from any virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, computer line failure or any other technical or other malfunction. The Affiliates make no representation or warranty whatsoever regarding the suitability, functionality, performance, availability or operation of the Web Site. This Web Site may be temporarily unavailable due to maintenance or malfunction of computer equipment.
THE WEB SITE AND AFFILIATES’ CONTENT ARE MADE AVAILABLE ON AN "AS IS," "AS AVAILABLE" AND "WITH ALL FAULTS" BASIS. THE AFFILIATES SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, QUALITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT, WITH RESPECT TO THE SITE, THE AFFILIATES’ CONTENT AND THE USER CONTENT.
YOU AGREE THAT THE AFFILIATES ARE NOT LIABLE TO YOU FOR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER BASED IN TORT, CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY DIRECT, SPECIAL, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES RESULTING IN ANY WAY FROM OR IN CONNECTION WITH: (I) THE WEB SITE, ANY MATCHING PROGRAM, OR THE AFFILIATES’ CONTENT; (II) ANY ERRORS OR OMISSIONS IN THE TECHNICAL OPERATION OR CONTENT OF THE WEB SITE; (III) ANY ACTION TAKEN IN CONNECTION WITH AN INVESTIGATION BY THE AFFILIATES, LAW ENFORCEMENT OR OTHER AUTHORITIES REGARDING YOUR USE OF THE WEB SITE, OR THE AFFILIATES’ CONTENT; (IV) ANY ACTION TAKEN IN CONNECTION WITH COPYRIGHT OWNERS; OR (V) THE CONDUCT, ACTIONS OR INACTIONS OF WEB SITE USERS OR YOUR INTERACTIONS OR RELATIONSHIPS WITH WEB SITE USERS.
THE WEB SITE ASKS PARTICIPANTS TO PROVIDE FACTS ABOUT THEIR BACKGROUND, AND THE AFFILIATES DO NOT REPRESENT OR ENDORSE THE ACCURACY, TIMELINESS OR RELIABILITY OF ANY OF THESE FACTS. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT ANY RELIANCE UPON ANY SUCH FACTS OR RECOMMENDATIONS IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK AND THAT NONE OF THE AFFILIATES GIVE LEGAL ADVICE THROUGH THE WEB SITE. IN NO EVENT WILL THE AFFILIATES BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANYONE ELSE FOR LOSS OR INJURY, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF CERTAIN WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS, OR THE DISCLAIMER OF SOME TYPES OF DAMAGES, SO SOME OF THE ABOVE MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
BY ACCESSING THIS WEB SITE, ACCEPTING ANY INFORMATION FROM THIS WEB SITE, SUBMITTING ANY INFORMATION TO THIS WEB SITE, OR PARTICIPATING IN THIS WEB SITE, YOU AGREE TO INDEMNIFY, DEFEND AND HOLD THE AFFILIATES HARMLESS FROM AND AGAINST ANY ACTUAL OR ALLEGED CLAIMS, DEMANDS, CAUSES OF ACTION, JUDGMENTS, DAMAGES, LOSSES, LIABILITIES, AND ALL COSTS AND EXPENSES OF DEFENSE (INCLUDING REASONABLE ATTORNEYS' FEES AND COURT COSTS) ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO: (A) YOUR BREACH OF THESE TERMS; (B) YOUR VIOLATION OF ANY LOCAL, STATE, FEDERAL OR INTERNATIONAL LAW, RULE OR REGULATION; (C) A CLAIM BY A THIRD PARTY THAT IS BASED ON YOUR USE OF THE WEB SITE; OR (D) ANY MISREPRESENTATION MADE BY YOU; OR (E) ANY DISPUTE BETWEEN YOU AND ANOTHER USER OF THE WEB SITE. YOU WILL COOPERATE AS FULLY AND AS REASONABLY REQUIRED IN THE AFFILIATES’ DEFENSE OF ANY CLAIM EACH AFFILIATE RESERVES THE RIGHT, AT ITS OWN EXPENSE, TO ASSUME THE EXCLUSIVE DEFENSE AND CONTROL OF ANY MATTER OTHERWISE SUBJECT TO INDEMNIFICATION BY YOU, AND YOU SHALL NOT, IN ANY EVENT, SETTLE ANY MATTER WITHOUT THE WRITTEN CONSENT OF THE AFFILIATES.
6. LINKING TO OTHER WEBSITESWhen using the Web Site, you may be directed to content and websites that are not contained within the Web Site. External websites are governed by their own terms and conditions of use, and you agree that you recognize that the Affiliates take no responsibility for the contents of other linked websites, including those provided by any government. External websites linked to or from the Web Site are not under the control of the Affiliates, and we are not responsible for any link contained in a linked site. These links are provided only as a convenience. Inclusion of any link does not imply recommendation, approval or endorsement of that website by the Affiliates, nor does it imply that the linked site recommends, approves of, or endorses the Web Site.
7. CONTACTINGIf you have any questions or concerns regarding the Web Site, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
The failure of the Affiliates to comply with these Terms because of an act of God, war, fire, riot, terrorism, earthquake, actions of federal, state or local governmental authorities or for any other reason beyond the reasonable control of the Affiliates, shall not be deemed a breach of these Terms.
If the Affiliates fail to act with respect to your breach or anyone else's breach on any occasion, the Affiliates are not waiving their right to act with respect to future or similar breaches.
A printed version of these Terms and of any notice given in electronic form shall be admissible in judicial or administrative proceedings based upon or relating to these Terms to the same extent and subject to the same conditions as other business documents and records originally generated and maintained in printed form.